Message to all the children at Our Lady of the Wayside School – 20th March 2020
Parents, please share this message with your children.
Dear Children of Our Lady of the Wayside School,
Over the last few days I have written many letters to your parents. Now I would like to write a letter to you.
Over the last few days some of you have already had to miss school because of the coronavirus. Your parents have had to keep you at home as part of keeping everyone safe. For many of you today will have been your last day at school for a long time. When you come back lots of things may have changed. It won’t be Spring anymore. You might even come back to find yourselves in the next year group. There might be new teachers and new friends to get to know. BUT … lots and lots of things won’t have changed. Your school grown-ups will carry on thinking about you every single day. We will laugh at the funny things you have done, and will wonder if you are still getting better at your handwriting and what you are reading now – Mrs Upton, Mrs Wilcox and our Year 4 librarians will want to hear all about the books you have read and enjoyed! We will hope that you are doing the very important job we have been given you all to help stop the spread of the coronavirus - KEEP WASHING YOUR HANDS!
While you are away from school please keep checking your class pages on our school website for your teachers will be adding new things. I hope you enjoy the exciting things they have planned for you.
We will keep on loving you even though we won’t be able to see you every day for a while. I want to tell you some important things:
1. Don’t be frightened. You may hear some things that you are worried about, but these are not worries for you. Tell someone you trust about your worry and let them look after it for you.
2. The children who are coming back to school next week, and in the weeks to come, are not more special than you. We are going to be looking after them for a while - their parents can’t because they are doing some really important jobs right now.
3. There are some good things happening in amongst the bad things. There is less air travel and, as a result, the environment is getting a bit of a rest, and, who knows, maybe we can work out new and better ways of doing things in the future because we have had to.
4. People are talking to each other and are offering to help each other more. That is a very good thing, please make sure you do that too. Be kind, helpful and generous in the days ahead. Please don’t argue with your brothers and sisters.
5. Even though you will be missing some school, you can still learn and try your best at everything you do.
You are a very special bunch of children. So, today, while we said goodbye to each other for a while, please keep singing, playing, making, drawing, writing, problem-solving, praying and learning about our amazing world. We are having an adventure and, like all real adventurers, we have to be brave.
May God bless each and every one of you and your parents.
Mr Taylor, all your teachers and all the staff at Our Lady of the Wayside School